Saturday 13 January 2007

Sandie Shaw and hoopoes

Her 1967 song “puppet on a string” is quite well-known...but today I got to know that the German version is something else. I wondered whether it was the same song...”Wiedehopf im Mai” (Hoopoe in May). What do hoopoes have in common with puppets and strings?...and merry-go-rounds???? I tried to find whether “Wiedehopf im Mai” was some kind of idiom...or to see if hoopoes did anything special in May. What an odd translation... Unfortunately I’ve not listened to the German version and wasn’t either lucky looking for the lyrics...


I don’t know why did I end up finding the title of that song in German, and I don’t know why did I decide to look for some information on Sandie Shaw. Besides the “Hoopoe” thing, I found out that Mrs. Shaw has not leaded a life of a typical 60es pop singer.




No comments: